The Australian Communications and Media Authority registered the community radio broadcasting code of practice for community radio licensees on 23 October 2008. The code was developed by the Community Broadcasting Association of Australia (CBAA), working with the community radio sector in consultation with the former ABA and the public.
IRCA has been in consultation during 2016 with the CBAA in relation to the current review of the Codes of Practice. IRCA has been seeking to strengthen the codes associated with the broadcasting of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander content.
A copy of the 2008 community radio broadcasting code of practice can be downloaded here.
The Community Broadcasting Code of Practice contains the following sections:
- Code 1: Our responsibilities in broadcasting to meet our community interest
- Code 2: Principles of diversity and independence
- Code 3: General Programming
- Code 4: Indigenous programming and coverage of Indigenous issues
- Code 5: Australian Music
- Code 6: Sponsorship
- Code 7: Complaints
- Code 8: Codes of Practice review